Monday, February 13, 2006

Talk Softly and Carry a Big Gun

Originally posted in Terra Occulta on December 4, 2005

Last week, a couple of guys and I went to a place I never thought I would see in Seattle: a gun range. Seeing NRA presence in liberal Western Washington is downright weird. Normally, I'm more left leaning in my socio-political views, gun control included. So, shooting guns is probably the last thing that comes to mind when I think about a pastime. However, I figured that after seeing guns in movies and tv, this is a good chance to experience what shooting one really feels like.

We went to Wade's Gun Range in Bellevue. Entering the lobby, I could see that it's just like any store if not for the glass wall that overviews the gun range. A line-up of people were shooting all kinds of guns in the gun range. A less obvious thing that differentiates the gun range from any other kind of stores is the literature and posters. On the walls are posters invoking the second amendment, the right to possess a weapon. That's a first for me to see that kind of posters after four years living in the Northwest. Meanwhile, on the tables are information brochures for the NRA, with some words by the one and only Charlton "From my cold dead hands" Heston. You can be sure of not finding a copy of the Stranger here. (For people that is oblivious to the reference, the Stranger is Seattle's free liberal newspaper.)

To rent the guns and lanes in the range, we had to read the safety rules and fill in a liability form. I made sure to at least glance through them before signing. After all, it's not funny if you accidentally kill someone because you forgot to read the rules. That would be tragic. Before entering the gun range, we had to wear goggles and ear muffles. I wondered, how loud could a gunshot be? The answer: Very, very loud. Especially if you are in an enclosed room and there are ten other guns going off. Even with the ear muffles I could still significantly hear the loud bang of a gun shot.

Because we're not experienced with guns, we all shared a lane, taking turns in trying the guns. The first gun we tried was a small revolver. To describe it simply, a revolver is the kind of gun most likely seen in a western. You load the bullets in a rotating cylinder. Cocking the hammer will load a bullet into the firing barrel, while pulling the trigger will fire it (duh!). Before taking the first shot, I hesitated. This was not like trying out bowling for the first time. I was handling a weapon that could easily be used to kill someone, me included, with a light pull of finger. After making sure I had a good grip, I raised the gun, aimed at the bullseye on the target several feet way and pulled the trigger.

A whimper of noise and a spark of muzzle fire later, I have officially shot my first gun. As I smelled the freshly burned gun powder, I looked at the target in the distance. The bullseye was clean. But several inches above it was a hole the size of a bullet. I missed. When the bullet was shot, the gun jolts back in my hands, raising them. I felt the force from the gun only slightly, but the trajectory of the bullet was affected significantly.

I was rather disappointed at that first try. Not because I missed the target as that is a given. I have bad aim. Just ask my toilet seat. I was disappointed because the gun felt like a toy gun to me. Yes, it is a real gun and it shoots real bullets that could kill people. But the gun has no heft. I barely felt the force the gun exerted to my hands when it shot. I was hoping for something more powerful.

After using all the bullets, we switched the gun for our next one: a 9 mm semi automatic. As the name suggests, the bullets have diameter of 9 mm. The semi automatic refers to the way bullets are loaded. Unlike revolvers, where you have to load the bullet with pulling the hammer, a 9 mm loads the next bullet to the barrel automatically after the last one was shot. You put the bullets in a clip, insert the clip into the handle, and you're ready to shoot.

When the gun was loaded, I readied it, aimed at the target, and pulled the trigger. Like the first gun, I saw the flash of muzzle fire and heard the noise of the gunshot. But this time, the bang was louder and, most surprisingly, the force exerted by the gun was much, much, stronger. It was so strong, it rattled my arms. I wasn't expecting that kind of noise and force. It gave me quite a shock, I had take a few seconds to calm myself after that first shot. Unlike the first gun, I can feel the power surging from the gun, to my arms, and to my body. It had my blood rushing and adrenaline pumping. Now, this is a gun.

The final gun we tried was another revolver. But this one was larger. Much larger. It's King Kong to the first revolver's chimpanzee. I didn't remember the brand, but I call it the Dirty Harry gun. I didn't remember the caliber, either. It could be a .44 since the bullets are needlessly huge.

Just looking at the size of this gun, I knew that this is a powerful gun. So, I took the necessary precautions in shooting it. I gripped the gun extra firmly and took a wider stance to brace for the force from the gun. After making sure I was ready, I cocked the hammer back and pulled the trigger. What happened next is still unclear. The noise I heard couldn't have been from the gun. It sounded closer to a concussion grenade. It was so loud, I couldn't imagine hearing it without the ear muffles. Even with the extra preparation, the force still got the best of me. The gun jumped back at my hands, giving a sharp shock to my arms and body. I even stepped back from the force. This wasn't a gun; this was a bloody cannon.

Still in shock, I turned around to look at my friends. I wish there was a mirror so I could see how idiotic I look. They all laughed at my suprised expression. How could I not be surprised? The gun I was holding in my hand was ridiculously powerful. It's overkill for self-defense. Unless, of course, your idea of self-defense is to blow the head of a burglar off or create an extra ventilation hole on both side his body that you can put your fist clear through it.

The trip to the gun range was an interesting experience. My feelings for guns have changed. I couldn't deny the thrill of shooting a gun. It was a heart pounding feeling that gives an adrenaline high. However, that didn't change my view on gun control. In fact, it just strengthen my belief in stricter gun control. The power of the guns I tried awed me. It only made me realize how dangerous they are in the wrong hands. By "wrong hands," I don't only mean criminals, but also regular people that could be easily swayed by the power of guns. The ones that would think a gun is a justifiable mean to end a confrontation.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice piece. really.