Monday, February 13, 2006

Cinema Cinema

Originally posted in Terra Occulta on January 22, 2006

That reminds me, do they still have "Sinema Sinema" on RCTI?

I recently came upon a brilliant site that reviews current Indonesian movies and discusses about the movie industry in general:

http://sinemaindonesia.multiply.com/

After browsing much of the site, I don't know to either...
a) Laugh
b) Cry
c) Vomit
d) All the above
e) All the above, rinse, repeat

I haven't seen an Indonesian movie in years. The last one I did watch was a VCD (Are those still around?) of Ada Apa Dengan Cinta. That was, undoubtedly, a worthy entry in my top ten bad moves ever. I was taken by the hype of the resurgence of Indonesian movie. What I saw was an awkwardly written, amateurly acted, and cliche filled teen movie. It was shot slightly better than a sinetron, but that's like saying blinded in one eye is better than blinded in both eyes. Despite my disappointment, I held hope that this was just growing pains. In time, the movie industry will grow to create movie Indonesians can be proud of.

Boy, was I wrong. (According to sinemaindonesia, at least)

Of the movies reviewed in the site, only one or two are recommended. The rest are, shall we say, deplorable. The reviewers in sinemaindonesia are fairly knowledgeable, although they did put a disclaimer notifying their inexperience in the subject. They back their statements with keen observation laced with acerbic wit. Here's a snippet of the review for 9 Naga:

"Yang juga sangat ngeganggu adalah penggunaan kata 'bencong', seperti: 'Pantang mundur. Mundur cuman buat bencong'. Padahal kalo kami lewat naik mobil di jembatan deket Taman Lawang, bencong-bencong nggak pernah mundur tuh, nepok-nepok anunya sampe kami ngasih mereka duit lima rebu."

Okay, it's maybe a little juvenile. But it's still funny. There are a lot more jokes at the expense of the movies and their makers.

If the reviews in sinemaindonesia are to be believed, the Indonesian movie industry has some serious problems. It has a lot to do before dreaming to match the Hong Kong or Korean movie scene.

No comments: