Monday, February 13, 2006

A Concert Supernova

Originally posted in Terra Occulta on September 10, 2005.

My back is aching. My throat is sore. My ears are ringing. The back of my neck is killing me. Yet, I never felt better all my life. Why? I just watched Oasis live in concert.

If you don't know how important this is, check what my thoughts on Oasis several posts down. To sum it up, Oasis was, is, and always will be the best musical act in my mind. For anyone who attempts to challenge my views, prepare for grave consequences. I'm talking to you, Arifin.

Before the show, I had a preparation to war, so to speak. Since the venue is in Everett, 20 miles from where I live, I had to fill my car's tank. With gasoline being $2.89 a gallon, it's quite horrifying. I also had to familiarize myself with how to get to and around the venue. As it was time to leave, I wore my beloved Oasis T-shirt I saved for special occasions like this. To give me a quick jolt and keep me alert for the show, I went to the grocery store for a can of Red Bull. I picked up Sekar and Dena, my Oasis buddies, before heading to Everett. When we got there, we learned that our seats were separate. The girls were seated together. I was left alone, but closer at just eight rows from the stage. You win some and lose some, I guess.

The show also featured fellow Brits, Kasabian, and Aussies, Jet. As a relative newcomer, Kasabian got the opening act. Their performance was impressive. Their electro-rock music with emphasis on rhythm translates well live. The irresistible distorted bass line on their brilliant debut single "Club Foot," which was also their final song of the set, comes out tenfold with the bombastic sound system, shattering eardrums everywhere. With a new close-cropped haircut, Kasabian's vocalist, Tom Meighan, is an energetic frontman. While not singing, he flails around, swinging his body and arms like Michael Stipe on crack. Next was Jet. They are disappointing to say the least. Their live performance suffers from their poor choice of sound. You can hear each individual instruments and vocalist Nic Chester's voice, but they don't mesh well. Worse, they only expose their poor sound quality by turning up the volume way, way up. I swear my ears were going to explode from the loudness.

There was a long break after Jet finished their set to allow the roadies to do a soundcheck. So long, I was worried. Oasis has a history of breaking down on tour, especially in the US. The brothers Gallagher is always at each others' neck that a bust up in near impossible to avoid. So, what if they just had a fight and one wouldn't show up, or worse, both just wouldn't bother to play. I'm maybe a little paranoid, but I have been waiting for this to happen for ten years. Ever since I heard of (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, I have been dreaming of watching them live. I would go out of my mind if the show was ruined. Luckily, my fears did not come true.

When the stadium lights went out, the crowd goes wild. The stage light went on. People started standing. A voice recording was played. It was a countdown of some sorts. Then "Fuckin' in the Bushes," the traditional opening song went on. Everybody gets even more excited. Finally, the boys walks out to the stage. All hell breaks loose. This is it, the moment I've been waiting since junior high. I could see them all clearly from where I'm standing. I could see Gem Archer and Andy Bell quietly setting the rhtyhm in their side of the stage. I could see regular fill-in drummer, Zak Starkey, son of Ringo, playing like he always belong in the band. I could see the stoic brains of the operation, Noel Gallagher, strumming his guitars. I could see the cool-as-hell, I-don't-give-a-damn-in-the-world frontman, Liam Gallagher, wearing his shades and oozing charisma as he stood motionless in front of the stage. They were ready to rock.

They started by playing the opening track from Don't Believe the Truth, "Turn up the Sun" which was quickly followed by the first single from the same album, "Lyla." Just from two songs, I could see how they got to be where they are today. Their sound is impeccable. Each sound meshes beautifully with another: guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals. Oasis is, first and foremost, a live band. They make good records, but they do fantastic gigs. With an array of albums under their belt, they are able to pick and choose a variety of songs, some new, some forgotten gems. They played "Bring It on Down" from their debut album, Definitely Maybe, the title track of Morning Glory, and "Acquiesce," a B-side staple. Not their most popular tracks, but favorites for longtime fans. They also played classic sing-a-longs like "Live Forever," "Cigarettes and Alcohol," "Rock 'n Roll Star," "Wonderwall," and "Champagne Supernova." Believe me when I say I sang along each and every song, not just the classics, but the old and new songs as well. That's why my throats are dry. Well, that and the screaming and yelling. After a brief rest, they returned for an encore, playing two Liam songs in the new album, "Guess God Think I'm Abel" and "The Meaning of Soul." It was followed by the crowd favorite "Don't Look Back in Anger" and the final song of the night, a cover of the Who's "My Generation," a live standard.

I left the stadium with a mild sense of disbelieve and a great sense of fulfillment. It was an awesome show. Probably the best I have ever seen. Now, I'm sitting in front of my PC recounting the concert. I can say with a clear conscience that the show was one of the highlights of my four year living and studying in the US. Ten years of waiting paid off with a bang. I may sound like an over excited fanboy, but I don't care. I AM an over excited Oasis fan.


No comments: