Thursday, May 10, 2007

So, I went to see Spiderman 3...

But, first thing first. This is attempt number 372* to revive this blog. Let's hope this one sticks.

It took me a whole week after the release date to finally see it. Some comic book geek I am. In my defence, I did try to watch the movie on three separate occasions. All attempts were thwarted by fate.

So, what do I think about the movie?

It's too long. There's too much plotlines running. The story is structured awkwardly. It's plagued with convenient coincidences with a mild case of deus ex machina. There's too much crying. Emo Peter is disturbing. Dancing Emo Peter even more so.

That said, I like it.

It has a lot of flaws; it's definitely not as well made as the previous movie. However, it has tight action and, most importantly, it has heart.

It's surprising as my opinion goes against the collective opinion of critics (Berardinelli, Roeper, Times' Dargis, Variety's McCarthy all didn't like it) and family (Big brother, little brother, sister-in-law to-be didn't like it as well), something very uncommon.

If I feel like it, I'll post a proper review.

*= Random number that popped in my mind. Illustrates the numerous times I tried to write entries to this blog again. Although, it's not as random as I thought: 372 happens to be the bus number I used to take to get from my Seattle apartment to campus. Psychoanalyze that!

No comments: